Research experience and Education
Researcher Divecha Centre for Climate Change, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 2018-current
Post-Doctorate Fellowship- The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA
Ph. D – Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
M. Sc – Microbiology, M.S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, Gujarat, India, (First class)
Research Dissertation: Microbial Diversity of the Aquatic Environment ( Grade A)
- Mattoo, R., B M, S. (2023). Comparison of Rhizospheric Functional Diversity Between Chemically Fertilized and Bioinoculated Millet. In: Pudake, R.N., Kumari, M., Sapkal, D.R., Sharma, A.K. (eds) Millet Rhizosphere . Rhizosphere Biology. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-99-2166-9_7
- Mattoo, R., B M, S. (2023). Millet’s Rhizosphere Metagenomics for the Understanding of Rhizobiome Multifunctionalities. In: Pudake, R.N., Kumari, M., Sapkal, D.R., Sharma, A.K. (eds) Millet Rhizosphere . Rhizosphere Biology. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-99-2166-9_12
- Mattoo, Rohini, and B. M. Suman. "Genomics and Sustainable Practices to Improve Nutrition of Millets with Changing Climate." In Nutriomics of Millet Crops, pp. 279-293. CRC Press.
- Mattoo, R. and Mallikarjuna, S., 2023. Soil microbiome influences human health in the context of climate change. Future Microbiology,
- Rohini Mattoo, Climate smart agriculture – Renewing agricultural practices for food security Current Science, Vol 124, No 7 (2023), Pages: 779-780
- Rohini Mattoo, Suman B M, Microbial roles in the terrestrial and aquatic nitrogen cycle—implications in climate change, FEMS Microbiology Letters, Volume 370, 2023
- Mattoo, R. and Gowda, M. 2022. ‘Harnessing soil bacteria and their benefits for sustainable agriculture with changing climate’, CABI Reviews. CABI International. doi: 10.1079/cabireviews202217002.
- Mattoo, R., 2021. Targeting emerging Mycobacterium avium infections: perspectives into pathways and antimicrobials for future interventions. Future Microbiology 2021, 16(10), pp.753-764.
- Rohini Mattoo, N. Umashankar, H.R. Raveendra, Contrasting rhizosphere microbial communities between fertilized and bio-inoculated millet, Rhizosphere, 2021,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rhisph.2020.100273
- Aditi Gurung and Rohini Mattoo, Microbes in biogeochemical cycles: a perspective on climate resilient agriculture, CAB Reviews 2021 Vol.16 No.006 pp.1-15 ref.141 (Co-first Author)
- Mattoo R, Lloyd EP, Kaushik A, Kumar P, Brunelle JL, Townsend CA, Lamichhane G. Ldt (Mav2), a nonclassical transpeptidase and susceptibility of Mycobacterium avium to carbapenems. Future Microbiology 2017 12:7, 595-607
- Bianchet MA, Pan YH, Basta LAB, Saavedra H, Lloyd EP, Kumar P, Mattoo R, Townsend CA, Lamichhane G. Structural insight into the inactivation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis non-classical transpeptidase Ldt (Mt2) by biapenem and tebipenem. BMC Biochem. 2017 May 25;18(1):8. doi: 10.1186/s12858-017-0082-4
- Kumar P, Kaushik A, Lloyd EP, Li SG, Mattoo R, Ammerman NC, Bell DT, Perryman AL, Zandi TA, Ekins S, Ginell SL, Townsend CA, Freundlich JS, Lamichhane G. Non-classical transpeptidases yield insight into new antibacterials. Nat Chem Biol. 2017 Jan;13(1):54-61. doi: 10.1038/nchembio.2237. Epub 2016 Nov 7. PubMed PMID: 27820797
- Barathy D, Mattoo R, Visweswariah S, Suguna K. New structural forms of a mycobacterial adenylyl cyclase Rv1625c. IUCrJ. 2014 Aug 22;1(Pt 5):338-48. doi:10.1107/S2052252514016741. eCollection 2014 Sep 1. PubMed PMID: 25295175
- Goyal RK, Kumar V, Shukla V, Mattoo R, Liu Y, Chung SH, Giovannoni JJ, Mattoo AK. Features of a unique intronless cluster of class I small heat shock protein genes in tandem with box C/D snoRNA genes on chromosome 6 in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum). Planta. 2012 Mar;235(3):453-71. doi: 10.1007/s00425-011-1518-5
- Podobnik M, Tyagi R, Matange N, Dermol U, Gupta AK, Mattoo R, Seshadri K, Visweswariah SS. A mycobacterial cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase that moonlights as a modifier of cell wall permeability. J Biol Chem. 2009 Nov 20;284(47):32846-57. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M109.049635. Epub 2009 Sep 29. PubMed PMID: 19801656; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2781701
- Dass BK, Sharma R, Shenoy AR, Mattoo R, Visweswariah SS. Cyclic AMP in mycobacteria: characterization and functional role of the Rv1647 ortholog in Mycobacterium smegmatis. J Bacteriol. 2008 Jun;190(11):3824-34. doi:10.1128/JB.00138-08. Epub 2008 Apr 4. PubMed PMID: 18390660
- Book Review- Retrovirus-Cell Interactions. Leslie J. Parent (ed.); Mattoo Rohini -Current Science, Volume 118, Number 5, 10 March 2020
Selected Presentations: Invited Seminars and Conferences/Talks/Posters (last 4 years)
1. Lead Author of the Food security report for India and other South Asian countries for Future Earth, South Asia
MAIRS-FE Workshop along with CGAIR on "Digital Solutions to Accelerate Adaptation to Climate Change in agriculture"-(13th-14th January 2020) at the Divecha Centre for Climate Change, IISc.
MAIRS-FE Online Workshop on Climate Resilient Agriculture (3-4th December 2020)
The workshops involved eminent participants/speakers from India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Germany, Bhutan, France, Thailand etc. Participants included personnel from Government, TATA TRUSTS, private companies, scientific/academic institutions etc.
- Presented Co-note for DCCC seminar on Ethanobiotechnology: A way to look backward and forward at the same time -26 July 2023
- Participated in the Launch of the international network on Soil Fertility and fertilizers (INSOILFER) organised by FAO;s Global Soil Partnership, July 2023
- Participated in “Global Symposium on Soils for Nutrition) Organized by FAO of the United Nations (26-29 July 2022)
- ‘The Status of the Sustainable Development Goals in South Asia’ on 20 January 2022 organized by the Future Earth Global Secretariat Hub, South Asia.
- Participated in the Science to Society (विज्ञानं से समाज तक) which was held on 17th September 2021, supported by Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser, Govt. of India
- Invited Talk in Hindi on Dharti, Paryavaran and Jalvayu Parivartan for the Hindi officers held at Divecha Centre for Climate Change, IISc September 2021
- Participated in CORDEX-MAIRS-FE workshop, November 9-10, 2020
- Digital Agriculture in May 2020 conducted by the Embassy in India on Climate smart Agriculture
- Talk at "Launch of the Report on: “Our Future on Earth, 2020"-(13th February 2020)
- Chair of a session- Towards a Sustainable Water Future A Future earth conference- (24th to 27th September 2019)
Scientists' warning to humanity: microorganisms and climate change by Prof Virginia Rich (Professor in the Microbiology Department at The Ohio State University, Codirector- EMERGE Biology Integration Institute (https://emerge-bii.github.io/), Member-OSU's Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center, the Center of Microbiome Science, Environmental Sciences Graduate Program, and the Translational Data Analytics Institute.
- Presented a talk at 2-day training program for health professionals titled Health in a changing climate: Empowering health professionals
- Presented a Talk and took part as a panelist in the panel discussion at DCCC-Indian Mountain Initiative meet at New Delhi- 2023 (https://www.mountaininitiative.in/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/MOMS-2023-FINAL.pdf)
- Presented a lecture on “Agriculture and Climate Change” for the ITEC- training program for guests of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, February 2023.
- Talk on Bioaerosols -Training Program on "AEROSOLS AND CLIMATE "-(5th to 16th December 2022) at the Divecha Centre for Climate Change
- Talk in Hindi on Dharti, Paryavaran and Jalvayu Parivartan for the Hindi officers held at Divecha Centre for Climate Change, IISc September 2021
- Presented talk on Food security at "Launch of the Report on: “Our Future on Earth, 2020"-(13th February 2020) at Faculty Hall, IISc.
- Presented a lecture on “Agriculture and Climate Change” at a course on "Climate Change and Environment" for a training program for guests of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, 2019